There are thousands of reasons for which we love Cuba. After moving abroad, our thoughts revolve around our loved ones, our families and friends still living in Cuba. But in case you can’t tell people about your great childhood stories or the fun you used to have back home, how do you describe how amazing Cuba is?
Here are some reasons we selected among the hundreds of amazing facts about Cuba.
1. Cubans don’t typically write their recipes down.
Instead, they are passed down from generation to generation through stories and shared experiences.
2. Cuba has one of the best health care systems anywhere in the world!
The typical life expectancy is 78,5 years. In addition, medical technology is one of Cuba’s leading exports.
3. The famous writer Ernest Hemingway…
… wrote “The Old Man and the Sea” and “For Whom the Bell Tolls” while living in Cuba.
4. On New Year’s Eve…
… Cubans burn dolls in order to symbolize forgetting bad times and looking forward to new and good times during the New Year.
5. Cuba has over 200 bays and 250 beaches to explore…
… meaning there is no shortage of fun in the sun.
6. Cuba is home to the Bee Hummingbird…
…. which is the world’s smallest bird, growing up to approximately 2 inches in length.
7. A rare prehistoric fish called the Mangar…
… is now only found in Cuba.
8. Starting from 2013, Cuba has 9 sites on the UNESCO World Heritage list, 7 of these cultural sites and 2 of them natural.
- Archaeological Landscape of the First Coffee Plantations in the South-East of Cuba
- Historic Centre of Camagüey
- Old Havana and its Fortification System
- San Pedro de la Roca Castle, Santiago de Cuba
- Trinidad and the Valley de los Ingenios
- Urban Historic Centre of Cienfuegos
- Viñales Valley
- Alejandro de Humboldt National Park
- Desembarco del Granma National Park
The list is open, you can call Cuba and talk about the great stories and people that make Cuba amazing and share them with us on